Sunday 31 August 2014

Alixandra "Ali" Greenwood [Resurgence LARP] : "Dear Nat..." #4

Dear Nat,

You do not know how relieved I was to receive your letter. I'm glad to hear you are faring well, though I was somewhat sad to hear you have begun to drink again.


It was really interesting to hear about the kind of hierarchy the Djinn have. I guess I had always thought that the larger "demon"-like creatures were masters to the Imps, but I guess that's not so. So you fit in somewhere just above the creatures we tend to meet? You must, because at least you know what kind of trade would be suitable...most of those we meet seem to be willing to trade anything for anything else, without any real understanding or knowledge behind it...

It's kind of creepy though, isn't it, knowing exactly what people will be willing to trade for? Almost like those "deals with the Devil" from folklore (I suppose the stories had to come from somewhere...) where the Devil knows exactly which of your vices to feed to get a deal...

I suppose I should warn the NDF members not to renege on any deals they make with the Djinn. (Though I think that's generally considered a stupid idea anyway...) What on earth are "Gravelings"? Are they literally just "bad imps"? When you say "torment"...what kind of "tormenting" are you talking about? Poltergeisty stuff, just making them a bit spooked or...something more serious?

I suppose, in an ideal world for the Paladins, I would do the "Paladin" thing of warning you away from dealing with the Djinn too much after you return. But this isn't an ideal world, I'm not your mother and considering I've done a deal with the Imps myself, just to get these letters passed between us, I can hardly talk. I hope that it won't be too much of an issue...the Paladins are more concerned about the shades than other supernaturals right now, it seems, which makes sense.

Unlike you, I haven't seen "my superiors" since the day they offered me the chance to walk their path. Something tells me they're unlikely to turn up until I do something wrong or they decide I'm actually not right to walk the path they walk. I bet that'll be a fun day...

I understand your dislike for the Paladins...let's face it, they were hardly friendly the only time you encountered them. The wording of the Paladin whose offer I accepted was very clear in that I am the one being judged for my actions; my decisions are the ones under scrutiny, no-one else's. Ali the Paladin is no different to Ali, your friend. She wouldn't have asked them about your situation (without being specific) before being willing to join the Paladins if she were. This is something I am currently trying to explain to the NDF. Yes, my alignment (if you wish to call it that) has changed; the "team" I support is different to yours. But it doesn't mean I have changed, aside from in ability. Had they asked for me to change my ways I would have walked away. I can't pretend to be someone I'm not or respond in ways alien to me. I am me. I will always be me. And if I don't fit their bill, then I don't stand in their corner. It's as simple as that. And if I'm honest with you...any Paladin who tries to mess with you is going to have to explain themselves to me first. And if they choose to do so anyway...then good luck to them, is all I will say.

I suppose I should be honest...a tear or two might have been shed when I reached your response to the situation with the child. How can you be the only one who understands? How can you be the only one who can see why I did what I did? I'm sick of the phrase "it wasn't your problem". I'm sick of Little Miss Sarcasm's continual jabs about it. And as I said...I was wrong about how similar she is to you. You're a far more decent person than that. It makes me smile, how protective you seem to be. Out of all the people in the world, I should be one of those who needs protecting the least...yet she's found the one chink in my armour and is using it to her fullest ability.

I miss you too. More than I probably ought to. Then again, the guys around here have withdrawn that tentative hand of friendship now I've "picked a side". It seems like the "life of a Paladin" is somewhat doomed to be lonely. I don't think I've ever torn a letter open so quickly!

What's this about me "lecturing" you on your return?! I highly suspect the only "lecturing" I'll be doing will be over the fact you made such a deal with the Djinn in the first place, and possibly the amount of alcohol being consumed! I'll be too glad to have you back to waste my breath "lecturing" you! Besides, the NDF aready have Kitiara, "Mistress of Lectures"...they don't need another.

Something tells me you'll have far more notes about the Djinn than I have about the Paladins. They seem to like to keep their distance, it seems. And do you honestly think you and I would listen to whichever "side" was telling us to keep our distance? Really?

As for Smiling Jack...I'm not sure I even want to get started.

Kitiara has suggested a plan to take him on soon. She has suddenly woken up to the thing I realised the moment I found I was able to send beams of light from my hands; I have the light that Jack so vehemently hates literally in the palms of my hands. It's strange, she seems only to find fault with the path I'm walking when it does not seem to be of aid to her. Because of this new realisation, she seems to (for the time being) have little issue with my decision. However...I think she will want to move too soon. My abilities are still new; still growing. I think she intends to move on Jack in the next few weeks...I won't be ready. I need more time; more practice.

I...feel like I should be more confident about the whole plan to defeat Jack. I haven't told any of the others this...but...I'm frightened. I mean...he's nearly invincible. Everything we threw at him last time just bounced off, and he came at us so frenzied and strong. I'm no stranger to fighting against the odds...but...this seems like us attempting to fight something unstoppable. And it won't be all of us...it'll be me and someone who has accepted the spirit of a vampire into their body (because that's such a good idea...) taking on Jack. None of the others have weapons or abilities that will be able to hurt him. They're going to be relying on us being able to take him down. You saw how we struggled last time with only two of us...

Your penultimate sentence really hit me...because I don't believe I can survive. I...I'm the only one in this "team" (I use that term so very loosely...) who has seen Jack; who has seen how strong he is and what we're going up against. I think Kitiara thinks we can get one person with light and one person with darkness stood there and in an instant he'll be gone. I think she's underestimating the strength of squad we're going to require.

Nat...if I stop replying...I am sorry. I wasn't good enough. And the bastard got me.

Ali.

No comments:

Post a Comment