Thursday 14 August 2014

Lunetta Sanguineo [Empire LARP] : "A Somewhat Expected Journey"

[Josée's Note: I have had so many in-character letters flying around since I came back from Empire. I believe I personally have sent out thirteen or fourteen already, with at least three more to send over the next few weeks as replies come in! Because of Nora's reply, the next chapter of Lunetta's journey can be written: Oh yes, she's off to Holberg.]

A Somewhat Expected Journey

Lunetta stood in her bedroom, a large knapsack sat, half filled, on the bed. Giorgio sat behind her frowning.

"Priestess, you've repacked this bag twelve times in the last three days." He sighed. "Is it really necessary to repack it once more?"


"Vigilance is a Virtue, Giorgio." Replied Lunetta, with a hint of admonishment in her voice. "I need to make sure I haven't forgotten anything necessary." She sighed and then began pointing to the various things on the bed. "Parchment and quill; I can't leave those behind, Felix would kill me on my return. Drinking pouch, so I don't feel faint on the road. Formal dress in case of meeting the Clothmakers Guild, in my finest velvets. Travelling dress, light yet elegant. Cloak, I can't forget my cloak, it's bound to get cold. Active dresses, light, low quality, can afford to get covered in..." she gulped "...whatever the Druj choose to throw. Underdresses, for modesty. Petticoats, likewise. Stole, for recognition, notebook; I can't leave that here...and I really ought to take my books of letters...I don't know if I'll be back here before journeying to Anvil. Purse, no doubt we'll need money for carts and inns, and liao...just in case. I can see a follower of Loyalty being particularly asked after in Holberg right now."

"Sword." Added the voice of a gentleman, whose head peeked around the door. He was tall and bronzed, his dark hair tousled and his features not unlike Giorgio's. He stepped into the room, dipping a deep bow in Lunetta's direction, his huge puffed sleeves bouncing as he did so. "No wanderer should travel without their sword, m'lady." He smiled.

"Indeed, Marsilio." Lunetta nodded, gesturing to the sword, laying in its frog on the bed. "And I do not intend to." Giorgio had brought his brother, Marsilio, to the Chapel almost a week prior, to defend her when she headed off to Holberg. Lunetta had rebuffed him, reminding him that she was not certain if she would be required to go, but Marsilio had seemed happy enough to stay around the Chapel "helping" ("Getting in my way!" Nencia, the cook had complained on numerous occasions. "He eats the dough! The dough! Without cooking! Uncouth boy!") wherever he could. Lunetta did not mind his company, but there were moments where his qualifications as a Bravo were almost painfully clear. Lunetta finished repacking her bag, and then Giorgio spoke.

"Where are you two intending to sleep, on this journey?" He asked.

Lunetta turned to Marsilio, who looked at her blankly. "The current route," she explained, beckoning the men over to a map on the floor, tracing the route. "Is: Sarvos, Rodez, Holt, Seren. Then, the Castle of Thorns, Laroc, Greenstead, the Pits of Brychel and then the Gate and on to Holberg." She stood up. "In all probability, we will end our days in one of these cities, towns or villages."

"But what if you don't?" Asked Giorgio, concerned.

"Then I have gear enough for us to sleep comfortably along the road." Replied his brother, lifting up a knapsack far larger than Lunetta's. "Don't worry your delicate little head, brother." Marsilio crowed, ruffling Giorgio's hair, much to his irritation. "I'll take good care of your Priestess. She'll be safe with me."

Heavy, fast footsteps up the stairs stopped the brother's quarrelling. Lunetta moved towards the door as a man in doublet and hose with a satchel, drenched with sweat, entered, knocking on the door as he did so.

"Ap...ap..." he panted. Taking a deep breath, he began again. "Apologies ma'am; gentlemen." He said, bowing to the three of them. "Priestess Lunetta Sanguineo?" He asked, looking at Lunetta quizzically.

"Yes, that's me." She replied, concerned. The messenger grinned, relieved.

"I have a message for you. From Holberg."

Lunetta's eyes widened. She quickly took the letter and tore it open. She scanned through it at pace and nodded at the messenger. "Thank you." The messenger bowed and went to leave the room. "Wait!" Cried Lunetta. The messenger's head peered back around the door. "Tell me, how are the people of Holberg?" The messenger looked confused. And then he began to speak.

"There is great hardship in the fourth city, madam. The walls are strong and the soldiers fight day and night to keep the people within safe. But the Druj do not give up. Food is scarce and morale is slowly slipping, with the continual siege and trébuchet launches a constant reminder of the friends that have been lost and the friends they are likely to soon lose." The messenger looked at his feet. "Such is life in a city under attack." Lunetta looked at him, and nodded, understandingly. She paused for a second and then asked, ponderingly.

"Good sir, would you stay a while? I...I have letters that will need someone to deliver them; one to Tassato, and then one to Holberg. Would you be so kind?" The messenger looked at her and nodded.

"Of course, my lady." Lunetta smiled. She turned to Giorgio.

"Giorgio, will you deliver a message to Nencia for me? Please can you ask for a bag of food enough for two to get to Holberg? And then, if there is enough to spare, a bag for one, to last them the same journey, plus a day or two?" She looked up at the messenger, who stood there, stunned. "Oh...and a flagon of water for the gentleman as well, if possible."

"Of course, Priestess. Nencia usually has plenty spare." Giorgio responded. He nodded his head to her and then left the room. Lunetta smiled at him and then turned to the messenger.

"Please," she gestured to the seat Giorgio had vacated. "Sit down. I promise it will be no more than half an hour you shall have to wait. I'm sure the rest will do you good." She then turned to Marsilio. "I have two letters to write and then I intend to leave. I would suggest you make sure you have everything you require in this time." Marsilio nodded curtly, and left the room.

Lunetta hastily packed everything back into the bag, and sat at the small desk in the bedroom. Grabbing a sheet of paper, she began to quickly scrawl a note to Felix and added it to the other one she had almost sent that morning. She tied them together, sealing the tie with her wax seal, and held it out to the messenger. As she did so, Giorgio returned, two large satchels across his chest and a flagon in his hand. The messenger took the letter in one, and the flagon in the other, greedily gulping down the cold water. he sighed a grateful "thank you" to Giorgio.

Lunetta was scribbling away again, this time penning a letter in reply to Nora. Giorgio cleared his throat and she turned to look at him.

"Nencia said she'd been preparing for your journey for days. The kitchen's full of delights. Here's your satchel," He pulled the larger one off his shoulder and held it up to her, before placing it on the bed. "Breads, cheeses, mead, roasted pheasant and pork, She even found some quail eggs she's made into a paste for you. She said there was a chocolate seller in the streets the other day, so there is plenty of chocolate in there, plus hard toffee and little balls of herb-flavoured sugar. Oh, and half a homebaked rum cake." Lunetta grinned. "There are also jerkies, jams, and other preserves in there. She says they're for those in Holberg who are struggling. "Loyalty is our cause" she said. "And Holberg is our sister city, and those within it our are brothers and sisters too."" He repeated.

"She's...so very right." Lunetta replied, touched by Nencia's kindness and thoughtfulness. She smiled broadly. "I know who I can trust with sermons while I'm gone!" She added, with a chuckle.

"As for you, good sir..." Giorgio continued, pulling the other bag off his shoulder. "There are similar items in yours, though fewer of them. Again, as you come from Holberg, she has put in some preserves, plus the other half of the rum cake for your family back home...to see them through the coming weeks."

"I..." the messenger was taken aback. "Thank you. Thank you for your prosperity." He stuttered. Lunetta sealed her last letter and handed it to him.

"And here is my final letter. I wonder if you will arrive before me or not...for it will not be long before we leave. And now, your payment." She added, holding a small pouch of coins out to him.

"No, no..." He began, holding his hand up. "...You have paid me enough in food."

"Nonsense." Replied Lunetta, a slight edge to her voice. "We all must make a living. Food will not keep our candles lit and houses warm. Prosperity is a virtue, my friend." She smiled, as he (somewhat unwillingly) accepted the pouch.

"Thank you for your kindness, m'lady." The messenger said, as he stood up, picking up the food pouch and his bag of letters. "I shall deliver the letters posthaste." He smiled warmly, dipped into a shallow bow, and then left the room. In the distance, they could hear him thanking Nencia a thousand times over, before the door out of the Chapel opened and shut.

Lunetta looked at Marselio as she pulled the knapsack on, suddenly becoming aware of its weight, and then pulled her cloak over the top. She placed her belt, with sword, liao and pouch attached, around her waist and then pulled the large bag of rations over her shoulder. Raising her eyebrows, she commented "I wonder if we can find a cart that could take us some of the way...I daren't think of carrying this for a few weeks."

Marsilio grinned. "We'll see if we can find one. I doubt there'll be too much trouble in doing so." He lookedat her. "Are you ready to leave?"

Lunetta took a brief look around the room. This was the last time she'd be in her (and Felix's) room for some time. She wasn't certain when she'd get back; if it would be before or after the next planned gathering at Anvil. She took a deep breath, and nodded. "Yes." She said faintly, feeling her courage falter. She took another deep breath. "Yes. We should go." Marsilio lead the way out, and as Lunetta went to walk out of the door, she stopped and turned to Giorgio.

"Giorgio...Felix and Mina may return here while I'm gone." She explained. "I trust you will make a room ready for Mina's possible arrival, and point Felix to this one?" She asked. "Felix and Mina can have full roam of the Chapel, and the study will be at their disposal. Can you make sure they are comfortable if they arrive before my return? And send note of their arrival to me?" Giorgio smiled understandingly and chuckled.

"Priestess, I have served you and this Chapel for five years. I can promise you that the foundations will not crack just because you are away for a month or two." He grinned. "The rooms will be prepared. And I will be sure to let Felix know of the arrangements you have put in place, should he and Lady Mina join us for a time." He paused, and then, taking a risk, gave her a hug. After a second (in which she panicked) Lunetta returned the hug warmly. "Please take care, Lunetta. This chapel could not bear to lose you. We could not bear to lose you." He held her tight. "And don't let my brother get too full of himself. You know what Bravos are like." He grinned. He took a step back and Lunetta's laughing face greeted him.

"I do. Don't worry, I'm sure I can remind him to toe the line should I need to. And you and the Chapel need not fear for me. I am not heading off to war. I am not donning armour and fighting in the front lines. I, unlike so many others, will be safe, thanks to their bravery. I am remaining within the City walls and acting as a friend and priestess to those in need. That's all. Remember, Felix would hunt me down in my next life and kill me again if I dared lose my life while he were away. That's enough to keep me here for now!" She smiled, trying to seem as lighthearted as she could. She squeezed his hand. "I'm coming home. Safely. I promise." Giorgio nodded, as confidently as he could manage.

"You better. Or it won't just be Felix hunting you in your next life." He added. Lunetta chuckled and then walked out of the room, following Marsilio.

Nencia met her at the bottom of the stairs, and flung her arms around Lunetta. "Be careful, Priestess. The roads are dangerous and Holberg far more so." She fretted, tears in her eyes. "Please stay safe. We couldn't bear the thought of losing you. We need you here."

"Nencia..." Lunetta comforted. "...I will be safe. I promise you. Marsilio will be keeping watch over me, and I can fight pretty well myself...thanks to the Bravos in Anvil." She stroked Nencia's hair, comfortingly. "Please don't fret so. I will keep everyone informed of what's going on. I promise." Nencia stood with her hands on her hips, throwing a withering look at Lunetta.

"Just you make sure you do. None of this disappearing with no word, you hear?" Lunetta grinned.

"I wouldn't dream of it." She looked back at the chapel and Nencia and Giorgio. Drawing herself to her full height, she stood tall. "Well then, we should be leaving. Look after the chapel, and yourselves. I shouldn't be gone for more than a month or two, I imagine." She curtsied...almost losing her balance due to the weight on her back. The four of them erupted into laughter. Beetroot red, Lunetta sniffed, composing herself.

"I suppose that's the best goodbye I could give?" She asked, with a gentle shrug. She followed Marsilio to the door.

"I'll see you both soon." She called, trying to sound as chirpy as she could. And the door swung shut behind her, leaving Nencia and Giorgio holding each other, their faces dropping the smiles and lightness. Left behind was worry and fear. This was the furthest their priestess had travelled...and the most dangerous place she had chosen to journey to. They could only pray she was wise in her decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment