Friday 8 August 2014

Lunetta Sanguineo [Empire LARP] : "Unintended Admissions"

[Josée's Note: Another Lunetta piece, at long last! Last game (E7), Lunetta found out that Nora (Othneil's love interest and friend of hers) had lost seven members of her group in battle, a year to the day she lost Matthias and Reynard. She had written letters to Nora, and to Felix (who was caring for a Carta member in Tassato who was also grieving the loss of friends in battle) asking Nora to join her in Sarvos, and telling Felix that if Nora did not...she would be heading out to Holberg...where Nora was, and where the battle that fell all these people took place.]

"Unintended Admissions"

Lunetta’s eyes slowly opened, and she stifled a yawn. She smiled softly and rolled over. “Good morni…” her quiet voice trailed off as she saw the duvet still tucked neatly under the mattress. Her smile dropped and she half-heartedly chuckled. She had started to realise how accustomed she had grown to Felix’s presence around the Chapel, and momentary lapses of concentration such as the one she had just experienced made her stomach drop and her heart ache. She had received letters from him while on his journey, and each had lain under her pillow before the next arrived. It was childish, she knew, but it did help somewhat, for some reason. She pulled the duvet off, and sat herself up on the edge of the bed, pulling his most recent letter from beneath the pillow. This one…had been probably the most mature letter she had ever received from him. 

She sighed as she reread it. She wondered if he had started to understand her stance on putting herself in danger’s path if necessary. She had feared that her proposal to go to Holberg rather than Tassato, or even staying at the Chapel, would spring a panicked letter of desperation upon her; where she would have to go against his wishes for her to stay out of what she felt was necessity. But…it was strange…the letter was in agreement with her. He wanted her to go to Holberg, even if it meant she put herself at risk doing so. He wanted her to look after Nora. He…finally…seemed to understand. Yes, there were warnings and concerns in there too, of course there was going to be…but he understood why she felt the need to go. She smiled inwardly. How on Earth had she found someone so…caring, loyal, courageous (in his own way; for to let her go to Holberg took a great deal of courage, no doubt) and kind-hearted? I must have been truly Virtuous in my last life… she thought, grinning.

She bathed and dressed herself for the day to come, before descending the staircase into the main Chapel. Giorgio and Nencia were sat in the pews, talking to one another in hushed tones. As Lunetta approached, their conversation ended, and Giorgio looked up at her, guiltily. Lunetta looked at him, her eyes teasingly daring him to speak.

“Priestess!” he began, unconvincingly jovial. “How are you this fine morning?”

Lunetta stared at him.

“Uh…” he faltered. “Did you sleep we…” Lunetta cut him off.

“Giorgio…you must be the worst keeper of secrets in the entirety of Sarvos.” She chided, teasingly. “So tell me, what’s going on?”

“Uh…” he repeated, looking at Nencia, who quickly got up and sidled away to the kitchens. He looked at Lunetta and smiled winningly, before sighing. “Can I speak with you a moment, Priestess? Alone?” Lunetta looked at him curiously, and then nodded, gesturing back up the stairs. As they went to ascend she paused.

“Giorgio, have any letters come through for me today?” She asked a hint of worry in her voice.

“No…none, Priestess.” He replied, noting the concern. “Why? Is something the matter?”

“I’m awaiting a letter from a friend.” She murmured, feeling the worry bubble away in her stomach.

“Felix?” Giorgio queried.

“No…not this time.” She frowned, giving no further elaboration. Giorgio looked at her and said nothing, ascending the stairs to Lunetta’s study, and holding the door open for her. Lunetta nodded in thanks at him, and then sat herself down in the chair at the desk, draft letters and wax strewn across it. As she hastily tried to tidy her workspace up, Giorgio sat himself down.

“So.” Lunetta began, matter of factly, still tidying. “What’s going on?”

“Priestess…” Giorgio tried to formulate the best way of asking. “…the congregation have heard rumours…”

“Of?” She asked, mind racing through…most of her time at Anvil.

“…That…you intend to travel to Holberg…alone?” Giorgio looked at Lunetta, concerned. Lunetta turned to him, her lips pursed and brow furrowed.

“Where did you hear that from?” She asked, suspiciously.

“Is it true?” Giorgio asked, insistently.

“Where did you hear that?” Lunetta repeated.

“I was cleaning the halls two days ago.” Giorgio exclaimed, frustrated. “I heard a noise from your room so I listened at the door. You talk in your sleep.”

“I don’t.” Lunetta replied, taken aback.

“You were muttering something about Holberg and having to go. You sounded like you were apologising.” Giorgio explained. Lunetta deflated. She had been dreaming about Felix and having to apologise to him at length for her decision to go and protect Nora. Giorgio looked at her and exhaled slowly. “It’s true.” He asked, quietly. “You really are intending to leave for Holberg?”

“Yes.” She replied, her voice barely above a whisper.

“Why? You must know how dangerous it is at the moment?” He asked, confused.

“Yes. I do.” Lunetta nodded a tiny fraction. She ran a hand across her face. “I wouldn’t leave here if I didn’t have to. I wouldn’t be intending to head to Holberg if I didn’t feel it was completely necessary, Giorgio.”

“And what makes it so necessary, Priestess?” He realised the challenge in his voice and added “If…I may ask?”

“I wrote a letter. To a friend of mine; Leonora. She is a student of the Archmage Nicovar Collegiate Fellowship of the Arts. They lost…a great number of their members defending the city, students and staff alike. I offered her sanctuary here; a safe place where she can mourn and recover amongst friends.” Lunetta explained, quietly.

“So why are you heading out to Holberg?” Giorgio asked, her logic making no sense.

“I haven’t had a reply, Giorgio.” She replied, sorrowfully. “I haven’t heard from her. I have promised Felix I will wait a week…but if I don’t hear from her…” she sighed, and looked at her lap. She shrugged apologetically. “…I have to make sure she is safe, and cared for. She lost so many people she cared for on a single day.” She sighed, and then looked him in the eye. “Her friends entered the Labyrinth exactly a year to the day that Matthias and Reynard did.” She emphasised, her eyes begging him to see the significance. “A year ago to the day I was feeling the emotions she is feeling now. A year ago, to the day, I was left to find my way without those I thought would be alongside me for years to come.” She exhaled deeply. “I can see so much of me in her, Giorgio. I can see so much of the pain, and loss and…loss of direction that I felt a year ago…in her. Not only am I a priestess of Loyalty; not only am I her friend…but I am a human being. I empathise with her, as one person to another. I need to offer her the shoulder to lean and cry on that all of you, Felix and the Bellamarina offered me. She deserves no less.” Lunetta finished, imploring Giorgio to understand. He sat there silently for a second.

“You intend to go alone?” He asked.

“I can’t ask the congregation to come with me. Many of them are non-combatants. They would pose more risk than aid, and I couldn’t live with myself if they were to get hurt. I have no others close by I can ask for aid from.” She explained.

“There’s me.” He offered.

“What?”

“There’s me. I might not look it, but I was raised in a family of Bravos. I know my way around a sword. I’ll come with you.” He shrugged.

“I need you here.” Lunetta frowned. “Felix told me that he and Mina intend to return here. I need you here ready for them when they arrive. You’re my second-in-command. You’re the only other person I can trust to have everything in its right place, ready for their return.” She smiled, softly. “I appreciate your offer, Giorgio…but I just can’t accept it.” Giorgio looked crestfallen…but then a smile played upon his lips.

“Priestess…can I have this afternoon off?” he asked, a plan formulating in his head.

“What?”

“Trust me. Please, now more than ever.” He implored.

“…Okay…just this afternoon though…”

“That’s all I’ll need. Thanks!” He quickly bowed to her and dashed out of the room, calling out to her as he left, “Don’t you dare leave for Holberg before I return!”

Lunetta stood there, confused. She was sure she had told him she wasn’t leaving for a week…

Giorgio sprinted down the stairs, across the Chapel and out into the centre of Sarvos. He ran through the streets and passageways, back to his childhood home.


“Marsilio! MARSILIO!” he shouted through the house. His brother peered from around a corner. Giorgio grinned. Breathless, he nodded to him. “I’ve got a job for you. I’ll pay well…”

No comments:

Post a Comment